• One of the most important things is the use of white colored paper. It should be 8.5 x 11 inch in size. Don’t use erasable paper for writing the final draft because it will get smudged. If you are using it, then make sure to submit a fine photocopy to your professor.
• Margins are said to be another essential part of your research paper format. Leave one inch margins around your entire text of the paper. Indent your paragraphs half an inch. Also, the quotations should be indented an inch from the left side margin.
• Your research paper in MLA style must include double-spacing in quotations, references and notes.
• While writing a research paper in MLA style, just include your name, instructor’s name, course name along with number and date of submission. This information should be placed at the top of the page, following the left alignment. Double space this information carefully and also, centre your title above the text.
• Now, double space once again before writing the text. Don’t underline your title and capitalize only first, last and the principal words of the title. You might end the title with a question mark or exclamation mark. If it is written in other language, then capitalize and punctuate it in accordance with the different rules.
• Number the pages consecutively at the upper right hand side of each page. Also, leave one-half from the top side. Place your last name just before the page number. Make sure that it must be placed an inch from the right edge of the paper.
So, this is all about formatting a research paper correctly. Follow the above essentials for writing a perfect research paper without difficulties.